What we're talking about right now
ISSUE: Assisted Living
Assisted living is expensive, but in many cases, it is less expensive to provide needed care and services at home. Elderly or infirm individuals should have the option to receive services needed to remain in their homes as long as they can and want to do so. Often, family members are required to provide non-medical care that is not supported by state or federal funding. This can affect the caregiver’s employment, social life, health and more. Support, training and compensation for care-givers would be both cost effective and life enhancing for the resident and their family.
PROPOSED UHoP ACTION:
• Address this issue through the PHA Wellness Foundation;
• Illustrate the network of available services to help you navigate the complex system;
• Help you to locate and secure the most helpful services for yourself and your loved ones;
• Urge legislators to improve the level of services available for home care; and
• Urge legislators to create a support for family caregivers through compensation and improved respite services.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
• Let UHoP know your thoughts;
• Mobilize your family, friends and neighbors;
• Urge your legislators to vote for funding for needed services; and
• Support UHoP's efforts to improve the lives of individuals who can benefit from home-care as well as their care-givers.